work visa to USA

Work Visa to USA is an official authorization that grants permission to its holders to enter the United States of America for employment.

U.S. work visa options include:

  • L-1 visa: for foreign workers and owners wishing to transfer to a new or existing U.S. business
  • E2 and E1 visa permit: for investors and traders.
  • H-1B visa permit: for specialty occupations
  • H-2B visa permit: for non-agricultural workers
  • EB-1 Green Card: Outstanding Researcher or Professor immigrant visa classification
  • EB-2 Green Card Permit: Based on Exceptional Ability.
  • EB-3 Green Card Permit: Professionals, Skilled and Other Worker
  • EB-4 Green Card Permit: Special immigrants including religious workers

Exchange Visitor Visa: J-1 Visa Permit Holiday Work Visa

This business visitor visa is known as a nonimmigrant visa which is available for individuals approved to participate in work and study-based exchange visitor programs, including by business sponsors. This permit allows visitors to experience life in the US before returning to their home countries.

Temporary Skilled Worker Visa: H1-B Visa Permit

The H1-B visa is designed for skilled, educated foreign workers who are employed in specialized occupations. The US H1-B visa enables foreign workers to work for a particular employer in the United States temporarily

Temporary Non-Agricultural Work Visa: H-2B Visa

The H-2B Visa is available for foreign workers in non-agricultural fields to work in the United States, given that there is an insufficient number of natural US born citizens to fill the position. H-2B visas are usually for temporary jobs, though not agricultural. Some examples of these occupations would be sponsored jobs at truck drivers, ski mountains, hotels, beach resorts, or amusement parks.

Seasonal Agricultural Worker Visas: H2-A Visa

The H2-A visas are available for foreign agricultural workers who want to work in the United States on a seasonal or temporary basis, provided that there is a shortage of domestic American workers.

TN Visa: Nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has opened the doors for Canadians and Mexicans seeking to enter the United States markets by providing a “fast track” basis for U.S. visas through the TN visa. Only citizens are eligible for a TN visa; permanent residents or landed immigrants can not apply. There are a few occupations that are allowed for the TN visa but if your job offer is not one of the listed occupations, call us, we may be able to help you!


US Work Permit Requirements

  • Passport(s) valid for 60 days beyond the expiration date printed on the immigrant visa.
  • Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien
  • Registration Application.
  • Two (2) 2×2 photographs.
  • Civil Documents for the applicant.
  • Financial Support. At your immigrant visa interview, you must demonstrate to the consular officer that you will not become a public charge in the United States.
  • Completed Medical Examination Forms

Embassy or Consulate Requirements

You will be required to visit your local embassy or consulate for an interview. Each applicant should bring a valid passport to the interview, as well as any other documentation above not already provided

Processing Time for US Work Permit

The processing time for US work permits range depending on the type of visa you are applying for and where the application is processed. 

For example if you are applying for an H-1B visa and it is being processed through the California center it can take 8 to 10.5 months. If you applied for the same visa out of the Vermont service center it would take 6.5 to 8.5 months. 

We recommend always consulting your immigration professional to get a better estimate of how long your US work permit application will take. 

Turning a Work Visa into a Green Card

Having a US work visa can lead to becoming a Canadian permanent resident through several paths.

You can obtain an Employment Based Green Card first which will give you permanent residency in the United States. If you don’t have an employment based green card and just a U.S. work visa there are some ways to obtain permanent residency. 

1. Have an Employer Sponsor You for PR

If you have been hired in the U.S. under your work visa and the company/employer appreciates your work, they could sponsor you for PR. This would significantly speed up and simplify the conversion to a green card. 

2. Invest Money for an EB-5

There are several ways to invest your money into the United States with exchange for an EB-5. An EB-5 is an employment based green card allowing the individual permanent residency. 

3. Family Sponsorship

Do you have a family member who is a US Citizen or US permanent resident? They can sponsor you to become a permanent resident of the United States.

What About an Employment Based Green Card?

Permanent residents, other known as green card holders, are non-US citizens who are authorized to live and work permanently in the United States. Many people obtain their green card through a family based green card or employment based green card. Each year many applicants are awarded green cards in employment based categories. These groups are divided into five sections EB-1 Green Card, EB-2 Green Card, EB-3 Green Card, EB-4 Green Card and EB-5 Green Card:

EB-1 Green Card: Priority Workers

  • Persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
  • Outstanding professors or researchers
  • Managers and executives subject to international transfer to the United States

EB-2 Green Card: Professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability

  • Persons of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts or business
  • Advanced degree professionals
  • Qualified alien physicians who will practice medicine in an area of the US that is under served.

EB-3 Green Card: Skilled or professional workers

  • Skilled workers (minimum of two years of training and experience)
  • Professionals with bachelor’s degree (not qualifying for a higher preference category)
  • Unskilled workers

EB-4 Green Card: Special Immigrants

  • Religious workers
  • Employees and former employees of the U.S. Government abroad
  • Persons serving as translators with the United States Armed Forces

EB-5 Green Card: Investors (Employment Creation)

International entrepreneurs who can invest $1,000,000 and create at least ten new full-time jobs. It is possible in certain limited situations that an investment of $500,000 if it creates at least five new jobs, may be acceptable. If you are an employer (or prospective employer) and you want to sponsor a foreign worker to become a permanent resident based on a permanent job offer, you and the foreign worker need to go through a multi-step process to become a sponsoring employer.